Energy Tips For Your Heating Habits
Ways to save money in your bathroom.
Our third instalment in our ‘ways to save’ series is about how to save in your bathroom. Whether you are in and out of the shower in minutes or you love a long soak in the bath, changing your bathroom habits could cut your energy consumption and help save on your bills.
1. Change your showerhead. A low-flow design still gives you a satisfying shower and uses much less hot water too.
2. Shorten your shower time. A long shower – especially a power shower – can use enough hot water to fill a bath
3. Unplug your toothbrush charger. Most electric toothbrushes only need one charge a week to keep your smile sparkling
4. And your hair straighteners. Don’t leave shavers or hair straighteners on standby charge either. Turn them off instead
5. Air-dry your hair. Why not try the natural look for a change? It’ll save energy and maybe even a bit of time
6. Get an extractor fan with an auto cut off. Running your bathroom fan for more than 20 minutes is just a waste of energy and money.
7. Dust or clean your radiator/towel rail surfaces on a bi-weekly basis. Dust and grime impede the flow of heat.
8. Switch out bulbs to LEDs. They last longer and use up to 80% less energy than a standard light bulb.
9. Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth, shaving or washing. A running tap wastes more than six litres of water a minute!
10. Fix any leaky taps. A hot water leak in your faucet can waste up to £30 per year in energy costs.